[ale] Virtual networks

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 12 13:22:36 EDT 2015

You don't need any VLANs at all.

I've never had luck using the auto-generated bridges from libvirt - I always
manually create it.
Different distros do this differently - which disto are you?

Vlans are just tagging - nothing to do with security. Think of it as a "this
way" sign when there is a fork in a road.  Good, honest people will go the
suggested way, then there are the rest of us with time to "explore" down the
other way.

OpenVPN is extremely flexible - that is a plus and a minus. Perhaps if you
described the environment for it, someone smarter than me could help?  Things
like how many clients, which mix of OSes, do you need samba to work across it
(ugly and abusive to the network), how cleanly are the LAN devices to be
provided with access grouped?  For example, I group servers that other people
need access over VPN together so only 1 rule is needed for those.  As an admin,
I wanted access to the entire subnet and a few other networks.  Some people
needed access to their desktops + a few servers ... you get the idea.

Manually dealing with the certs sucks.  Of course, you can pay the openvpn guys
to make it easier.

In this case, flexibility = complexity.

Generally, I use ssh for remote access. It is 100x easier, provided the clients
you need/want to use support it easily. |)