[ale] Recommendations for my next distro?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sun Mar 1 23:50:21 EST 2015

I work almost entirely with Gentoo now that I no longer run machines for
other people; *my* standards tend to be higher ;) . I can and have done
Gentoo on the desktop but my main eyeballs-on-screen relationship is
with Apple OS X and most of the time, the machines I operate have Xorg
going but are run pretty much headless and all X is remote.

I don't understand the comment "the maintenance cost is high;" the $
cost is of course zero and as far as the maintenance /effort/, you can
be as assiduous as you want to be and you can also automate anything you
want. In my experience, institutionalized Linux systems are only doing a
relatively small number of things anyway and therefore the number of
packages you really care about keeping current may be only a handful.
The one fairly recent time I've dealt with CentOS and tried to do the
same thing on Gentoo to see where the gotchas lay, I discovered that a
nice feature in a major upgrade of CUPS that made life a whole lot
simpler was simply ready and waiting for me in Gentoo whereas trying to
surgically do the same thing in current CentOS, while achievable, would
have been a supportability nightmare for me and any who came after me.

All I can say is that I build tough, fast, and highly controllable
Gentoo machines. Life without Gentoo is not problem-free, but I recall
vividly that there were /entire classes/ of problems encountered when
trying to do real work with CentOS/RHEL that simply were not part of my
world.