[ale] Recommendations for my next distro?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 09:00:28 EST 2015

Ovirt is large. Very large. It's design is to directly challenge VMware.
So, yes, very large and designed to be deployed across multiple physical
systems.

My grouse with it is the vast amount of java it's written in. But that's
all only for the web GUI and it's linking to the back end.  The back end is
all libvirt :-)

I've used it to setup some developers with the ability to generate a VM
that's a clone of an existing devel environment with (yuck) Oracle ready to
go for very specific testing needs then drop it in the trash. As I don't
have control of the network, I can only setup test VM s with private lan
networking which I do control. Ovirt uses spice to provide a console, CLI
or X, and the access is over the single, public IP. PluscI can lock down
user access with FreeIPA :-)

Yeah, that is a security issue having that much java web code. But the
entire process is designed to run with full SELinux lock down. That does
much to mitigate the damage from a break in.

Ovirt is NOT for desktop users to run a few VMs with. Virt-manager does
that very well. Ovirt's to run a large collection of VMs that's managed by
multiple admins across multiple servers with large-scale shared storage
(NFS is default but iSCSI from a SAN is preferred).