[ale] Email to txt.att.net (AT&T Mobile - SMS) being delayed

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Jun 29 15:44:39 EDT 2015

Note this is not a question about the normal "your SMS messages may be delayed or isn't guaranteed" if you're not using their SMS for business service.   This is a question that appears to be unique to the way AT&T is handling our text messages from Linux vs. the way other carriers such as Verizon and T-Mobile do.

1)       Is there a way to configure Sendmail so that mail it relays to other hosts use the short name of the Linux server where it originated?

DETAILS:
We got a complaint today that email from one of our servers to going to AT&T Mobile phone is being delayed when it comes from one of our Linux servers but not when it is sent via Outlook/Exchange directly.

The sending server is using RHEL5.10 and Sendmail.  It relays through a MS Exchange server here for all mail.

The mail is sent to <phonenumber>@txt.att.net when we need to send a text from our application.

My findings:

1)       The mail sent to @txt.att.net per /var/log/maillog is being sent as soon as the command is run.

2)       The relaying Exchange server is accepting the mail and is sending it to txt.att.net almost immediately.

3)       Mail going to Verizon (@vtext.com) and T-Mobile (@tmomail.net) using same command line on Linux is appearing on the phones almost immediately.

4)      Sender in relayed emails is root@<server>.<ourdomain>.com<mailto:root@%3cserver%3e.%3courdomain%3e.com>

5)      Issue occurs if I do telnet to port 25 of the Exchange server from the Linux server.   (i.e. Do direct smtp and bypass Linux Sendmail config).

6)      Test from Outlook confirms that the email goes to the AT&T phone text message almost immediately.

7)      We found a Windows server running an application that does smtp to the Exchange server on port 25.   When it sends messages to @txt.att.net they are received on the phone almost immediately.   That message was also sent to a real mailbox and review of headers there show it took the sending server's shortname rather than FQDN.

8)      Based on findings from 8 I redid the test from 5 using the shortname of the Linux server rather than the FQDN it usually sends (which I'd used in test 5) and this also went to the phone almost immediately.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX/Linux Administrator

DS Services of America, Inc.
2300 Windy Ridge Pkwy
Suite 600 N
Atlanta, GA  30339-8461

P: 678-486-3516
C: 678-772-0018
F: 678-460-3603
E: jlightner at dsservices.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you