[ale] ubuntu will not recognize ATI 780RL radeon 3000 after updating to 14.04

Ned Williams nedj10 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 06:41:04 EDT 2015

it has been years since I posted to ALE so I beg everyone's patience.

Tonight I updated my long stable 12.04 Ubuntu HTPC to 14.04 so my new phone
with uses the MPT file system could be mounted to share media..the update
went without errors and the only legacy conf file I kept was for rsyslogd.
However upon reboot into 14.04 the Display is locked at  1400x780 and even
those when I query the PCI bus it sees the radeon card the catylist drivers
nor the radeon open source drivers seem to detect the card, I installed the
proprietary ATI drivers but they do not see the card, I also uninstalled
them for the mesa drivers but that too produced no joy.

when I look in ubuntu settings manager  it sees that the VGA display is set
to display 1080 (Vizio 55)

but when I go Display settings the 1400x780 value is unchangable.

any help would be appreciated as I appear to be stuck

thanks
Ned Williams