[ale] New hard drive procedure

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Jun 6 21:06:50 EDT 2015

On 06/06/2015 08:37 PM, Dev Null wrote:
> What would you all do if you didn't have constant access to SMART
> monitoring (clearly not ideal, but I still ask)?

SMART data is next to worthless. There aren't any standards and the only useful
way to use it is to monitor over time. Snapshot data point mean ZERO.

I wouldn't do anything different. Good backups. Backup tools for ESXi usually
cost $1K+.  Plus I'd wipe ESXi and load KVM. Actually, I did exactly that 3-4
yrs ago and don't miss it at all. Much happier now and VMs run faster too.

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.