[ale] DVD sound broken after patching CentOS 6.6

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Jul 26 20:41:59 EDT 2015

Work with aplay for now, until it works.  Then you can deal with mplayer and
other stuff.

aplay -l

if that shows stuff, you have the right drivers. If not, start looking for the
device and driver with

sudo lshw -C  multimedia

Sometimes it is a simple device/file permissions thing or an old config from
prior releases - clean out the ~/.asound stuff and perhaps the /etc/alsa stuff.

I've almost never had good luck with pulse-anything. Find it easier to purge
from the system. The output from aplay -l tells you which devices to setup in
the /etc/asound.conf - so decide if you want analog or digital output and which
device you want to get it ... speakers, headphone, HDMI, digital coax or toslink
... there will be a different device (should be) for each.

Plus don't forget to verify that auto-mute isn't enabled through alsamixer.  I
hate when that happens.

Anyway - hope that is clear enough to get started.

On 07/26/2015 03:21 PM, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Hi All, my weakest Linux ability is multimedia.
>

> After very recent patching of my CentOS 6.6 systems,
> sound no longer works either from DVDs or CDs or videos from news sites
> (Yahoo & Fox).
>
> I suspect that it is a codec problem but I do know know how to repair.
>
> The video from the above sources works fine but no audio.
>
> Invoking "aplay" on a .wav file generates no sound or complaint.
> Ditto for "speaker-test".
>
> However, having mapped ^G to the sound of a bell in X, I get that sound
> when I output a ^G to an Xterm screen.
>

> I've tried using yum and rpm to remove and reinstall the usual suspects:
>
> yum remove kaffeine
> yum remove flash-plugin mplayerplug-in mplayer mplayer-gui gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> yum remove compat-libstdc++-33 libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav lsdvd libquicktime
> rpm -ve mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.i386.rpm
> rpm -ve mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1
> rpm -ve mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.i386
> rpm -ve mplayer-codecs-20061022-1.i386
>
> yum install libdvdcss.x86_64
> wget http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
> rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
>
> yum install libdvdcss.x86_64
> rpm --import http://apt.sw.be/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
> wget http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
> rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
>
> No luck.
>
> Please advise.
>
> THANKS,
>
> Bob Toxen
> bob at verysecurelinux.com               [Please use for email to me]
> http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
> http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
> Quality Linux & UNIX security and SysAdmin & software consulting since 1990.
> Quality spam and virus filters.
>
> "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
> them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
> the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
> -- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... Bob

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.