[ale] domain name registrars

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jul 22 14:25:21 EDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-16 at 16:21 -0400, Ben Coleman wrote:
> On 7/15/2015 10:28 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> > What's the latest recommendation for domain name registrars?  Namecheap
> > or someone else?

> I"m still on GoDaddy, mainly because last time I looked at registrars,
> they seemed to be the only reasonably-priced registrar that did both
> IPv6 glue and DNSSEC via the interface rather than having to get the
> support people to make entries for you.  That may have changed, but I
> haven't researched it in quite a while.

That's the primary reason why I use GoDaddy for most of my domains.
Ghandi is also real good for DNSSec support and the Samba team has their
domain registered with Ghandi.  We're all using DNSsec and DANE.

AFA Network Solutions go, I'm completely disgusted with them.  After all
these years, they have no DNSSec support (unless it's required by the
TLD, like .gov or .mil), therefore no DANE support.  If they can't
support state of the art, what good are they?  They're charging you
premium prices for substandard service?  I moved all my domains from
Network Solutions to Ghandi and GoDaddy for exactly that reason.  And
registering DNSSec is trivial at those two.

I host my own DNS, so I can't speak to their support of DNSSec in their
DNS hosting.  But registration is a snap.  Just add your DS records for
your zone and it's done.

I've been told that it is also possible to get DNSSec with DreamHost,
but, last time I asked them, I was informed that I needed to open a
support ticket for a support request to do so.  I have not confirmed
this procedure for them.

> Ben

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com