[ale] group merger ALE + GA400-Linux

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jul 15 07:53:13 EDT 2015

Taken off list.

We don't have any plans to change the existing ALE email lists.

This is a win-win for ALE and GA-400.

a) I dislike meetup, but it works. ALE membership dropped from over 2K people to
about 500 in the last 2 yrs. Very few people were coming to the physical
meetings. A group like this without physical meetings is dead, dead, dead.

b) I didn't start the GA-400 group and the guy I inherited it from, Andy, didn't
either. BTW he shot himself dead in May leaving a wife and 2 yr old behind. The
GA-400 group has been growing for the last 3 yrs, mainly due to meetup
advertising. It happened to meet near where ALE-NW was meeting, so I started to
attend. It is a completely different sort of Linux group - more about hanging
out and learning happens .  We had 15 people last Sunday - even with no agenda.
 We overran the Pizza place last week and may need to set a limit on how many
can attend to NOT piss off Harry. He's a nice guy, but needs to help other
customers too.  BTW - on Easter, 8 people attended.

c) Since I've been a co-organizer at the GA-400 group, we've grown to about 500
people. Plus 5-15 new people join every week. I always ask how people found us
at the meetings. The answer was always the same - meetup.  Lots of people don't
know how to use google, don't no the term "LUG". They've never heard of ALE or
seen the website. It is really sad. We aim to fix that, plus help folks learn
what they'd like to learn about Linux. Sometimes there isn't any substitute for
face-to-face meetings. But they do know "meetup" for some reason and find us.

d) ALE-NW lost our free meeting place thanks to the take over of SPSU and the
KSU Dean not willing to help at all. We will still likely have an installfest
there in early Sept, but weekly ALE Sunday meetings are very much like an
installfest.

In summary - I think we need both techniques,  by merging the groups and
offering to help other groups start, we are only trying make it easier for more
people to find Linux and get a little help to get started.  The more advanced
topics will always be part of ALE-Central.

We will probably shutdown the email lists on meetup.com and force people to join
the ALE email lists.  ALE doesn't do calendaring AT ALL.  It was common for the
website to NOT be updated for months - which sends a "they are dead" message to
noobs.  With meetup, ALE will have a great calendar system and a reminder of the
meetings. Individually, you can turn that off. Nobody is forcing anyone to join
meetup.

Also, we are merging 2 meetup groups into 1 - mainly to prevent confusion, but
also because we don't want to pay them 1 penny more than necessary.  Also, we
want to incubate other groups in the metro ATL area, so they don't have to pay
meetup 1 penny - every.  Wouldn't a single group calendar with all the F/LOSS
activities in metro ATL be nice?

But none of this impacts you in any way - unless you plan to attend a meeting or
volunteer to help in some way. Would you like to help with online training
sessions or running any social media accounts?  I think those are the next steps
to keep the growth going.

Just call me Barnie. ;)  I think nicknames can be fun for all group members who
consistently show up. Perhaps a formal naming ceremony is needed?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/27-people-who-have-better-job-titles-than-you#.miyN7Z1mQN
- love the "VP of Infinite Infinity" job - can I have that one?