[ale] Best Self-Hosted Cloud Solutions

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:11:24 EDT 2015

As of late, I've been adding up the list of all of my cloud storage
solutions and its getting out of hand:
Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, Box... and a few other minor ones that I
don't really use that much.

In any event, I'm thinking its time to host my own services so that I can
have a bit more control and tailor the services to exactly what I need. I'm
currently using Comcast residential service with  their Arista cable modem
for 50Mb down/10Mb up and 300GB of data a month.

What software and what techical issues do you run into when using Comcast
networking

I've heard of owncloud and fiddled with it a year or so ago. It was
moderately nice but not a full replacement
I've heard of Paperwork to replace Evernote but its not very polished yet.
I've heard some folks use WebDAV to do all of it and just push raw data
around.
I've briefly used OpenFiler and FreeNas for home nas duties but they appear
to have plugins to handle cloud stuff too.

What solutions do YOU use and how much difficulty have you had hosting it?

I figured that the ALE group probably has already done this a few times in
the past and this was the best place to look.

Vernard