[ale] Cluster software for Raspberry Pi?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Jul 3 20:19:27 EDT 2015

And remember that Mosix/OpenMosix was but *a certain kind* of
clustering. So is distcc, for a very specific problem space.

These days - or at least as of 2011, which was the last time I had my
hands on/in cluster hardware - what makes a cluster a cluster seems to
be 1) application software that uses some kind of message-passing
library (like MPI IIRC) 2) optionally (it depends on the problem space),
a cluster-aware shared filesystem (possibly to include one that combines
volumes on each node, seeing as they'll likely have perfectly good disk
controllers and spaces to put drives) 3) optionally (likewise), an
appropriate network fabric or two (if Ethernet alone won't cut it).

A few years ago I had two Gentoo Linux machines connected to a third via
AoE but since at the time a cluster-aware FS wasn't available without
great pain, I just formatted the AoE volume with ext2. Worked great on
both mounted machines...until one of them wrote, at which time things
got a little crazy. :)