[ale] group merger ALE + GA400-Linux

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:40:57 EDT 2015

Hi all!

The addition of Meetup has brought more people to the ALE meetings. There
is a proposal floating around to merge the ALE and GA400-Linux meetup
groups under the ALE name.

Short story: the founder of the GA400-Linux group passed away and JD is one
of the co-organizers.

Those folks meet weekly all around the the top end perimeter and Smyrna
area for a "how do I..." session geared towards new Linux users.

The idea JD and I are kicking is to link ALE up as a central group with
multiple sub-groups (sysadmin, desktops, language specifics connections,
etc).

Ideas? Feedback?

The GA400 group has 600+ members. ALE meetup is up to about 60. ALE mailing
list has 462 (as of now - down from our high end of 1600+ about 8 years
ago).

NOTE: meetup is not free. I put up the start up money ($80? Will have to
check for details.) The larger the group, the more the annual cost for
meetup services. They have a donation widget I intend to use to help defray
the cost for future years. Any extra we can blow on a party.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*