[ale] Best public DNS servers?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jan 28 13:04:14 EST 2015

On 01/28/2015 11:58 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> Any recommendations?  This is for lookups of existing sites (e.g. google.com,
> yahoo.com, billybob.com etc…) not a place to add our own records.

There are DNS performance test tools available which will find the fastest dns
for you.
That doesn't address the "trustworthy" or the tracking aspects.  DNS queries
provide a wealth of metadata about a subnet.  I wouldn't trust google with that
data unless it was absolutely necessary.

OTOH, I wouldn't trust any government to provide a clean, unmodified, DNS either.

Just a reminder - DNS is the core for most web security. If you own the DNS, you
own all servers on the internet too. This is not anything to be selected on a whim.

IMHO.