[ale] help, windows 7 boot error

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Wed Jan 28 11:09:27 EST 2015

Restoring from the vendor's recovery stick on the old drive will most
likely wipe out all of your data and programs -- it is typically a complete
wipe and reinstall of the system.  At this point since you cannot boot the
original drive, you have the following options:
    - Use the recovery stick to restore to the new drive, then rebuild your
Linux install from scratch
    - Manually install Windows on your new drive, manually copy data over
from the old drive, then rebuild your Linux install from scratch

You just need to bite the bullet and rebuild from scratch.  It sounds like
too many changes have been made to be able to understand what state the
drives/partitions are in, at least without physically sitting down at the
system and debugging.  Whatever you do, make sure to only do it on the new
drive and leave the old one alone, except for copying data off of it.

> I mounted the Recovery partition and I am copying all the files over to
my HD.. maybe I can make a bootable CD with that, & restore windows to the
new drive..

No, you cannot do that.  This is what got you into the situation to begin
with.  A plain copy of files to a new drive does not make it bootable --
you must either image it or do something else to install a boot sector, and
that kind of thing is pretty undocumented for vendor recovery partitions.

❧ Brian Mathis
@orev