[ale] Dealing with System Lock Up

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:26:18 EST 2015

On Jan 15, 2015 11:57 AM, "Beddingfield, Allen" <allen at ua.edu> wrote:

> FYI,  that error is usually associated with the Adobe Flash Player
plugin. Are you using it? If you are, I would maybe suspect a video driver
issue or something Flash related.

+1

You can use ctl-alt-f2 to get a local console and killall -9
plugin-container

>From that console you can use various top and *stat commands for some
details.

Xorg disables ctl-alt-backspace by default. I forgot the logic behind the
change but it made sense at the time. It can be added back but that takes a
Google search on Xorg ctlaltbkspce or similar.

>From the console on a systemd machine, you can kill X with:
systemctl isolate multi-user.target as root of course. Graphical.target is
the one to start X .

beyerg at bellsouth.net>> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been having a chronic problem with my system locking up, leaving me
with no alternative but to Alt-SysRq+REISUB.

> Better than finding ways to *respond* to this situation, I would really
like to get to _root_ cause and solve it.   Where does the group suggest I
look, post-reboot, to find out what caused the lockup?  There must be some
clues logged somewhere.   I would appreciate any ideas.

> I'm running Ubuntu 14.4, with MATE 1.8.1.   4 GB RAM,  300 GB + free disk.
>
> Lockup seems to happen frequently when I find a Firefox pop-up stating:
"A script has stopped running, do you want to stop or wait?"   Sometimes I
can click stop, and get things going again, other times, the pointer will
not move, mouse will not click.  Alt+tab won't swap windows - total system
freeze.  On other occasions there is no FF pop-up symptom . . . system just
freezes.

> Ctrl+alt+backspace *should* kill my X session, but it has no effect,
seems to be disabled (?)   I would like to re-enable this.    Can anyone
suggest how?

> Likewise, Alt+sysreq+K *should* kill all processes, but again, this has
no effect.  How can I re-enable?

> I finally have to resort to alt+sysreq+REISUB which does work, BUT that
is pretty much a hard boot, I loose all of my work not saved, and frankly,
one should not have to use a three-finger salute on a linux PC  ala Windows
to regain control.  Linux just should not be doing this.