[ale] Dealing with System Lock Up

Gregory Beyer beyerg at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 15 11:20:37 EST 2015

Hi,

I've been having a chronic problem with my system locking up, leaving me
with no alternative but to Alt-SysRq+REISUB.

Better than finding ways to *respond* to this situation, I would really
like to get to _root_ cause and solve it.   Where does the group suggest
I look, post-reboot, to find out what caused the lockup?  There must be
some clues logged somewhere.   I would appreciate any ideas.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.4, with MATE 1.8.1.   4 GB RAM,  300 GB + free disk.

Lockup seems to happen frequently when I find a Firefox pop-up stating:
"A script has stopped running, do you want to stop or wait?"   Sometimes
I can click stop, and get things going again, other times, the pointer
will not move, mouse will not click. Alt+tab won't swap windows - total
system freeze.  On other occasions there is no FF pop-up symptom . . .
system just freezes.

Ctrl+alt+backspace *should* kill my X session, but it has no effect,
seems to be disabled (?)   I would like to re-enable this.    Can anyone
suggest how?

Likewise, Alt+sysreq+K *should* kill all processes, but again, this has
no effect.  How can I re-enable?

I finally have to resort to alt+sysreq+REISUB which does work, BUT that
is pretty much a hard boot, I loose all of my work not saved, and
frankly, one should not have to use a three-finger salute on a linux PC
ala Windows to regain control.  Linux just should not be doing this.

Thanks very much for any ideas where to go from here!

Greg Beyer