[ale] Favorite Aliases?

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Sat Jan 10 12:48:24 EST 2015

I've always used psg too. Also md for mkdir but that's pretty boring.

Actually, taking a peek at my .bashrc, it looks like a while back I switched psg from an alias to a function:

psg ()
{
ps -ef | egrep ^UID\|\[${1:0:1}\]${1:1}
}

This version gives me the header line and avoids the grep in the output.

Since more often than not I seem to want to cd to the directory I just made, I also use:

mdcd()
{
mkdir "$@"
cd "$_"
}

I think it was ksh that had a -c option on type that read though the symbolic links to tell you where the real file was. The c was for canonical I believe. Anyway bash doesn't have that option so I've been using this one for many years too, ever since I switched to bash:

type()
{
if [ "$1" = "-c" ]
then
shift;
for f in "$@"
do
ff=$(builtin type -p "$f")
readlink -f "$ff"
done
else
builtin type $typeopts "$@"
fi
}

I know you asked for aliases, but most of mine grew into functions it seems. I do also alias vi to vim and more to less, but mostly because I couldn't get out of old habits.

Also this one is handy to replace scp for a large file :
alias rscp='rsync --partial --progress --stats --inplace'

This one is handy if you're having trouble connecting with ssh:

alias sshv='ssh -vvv -o LogLevel=DEBUG3'

Scott