[ale] All you Comcast fanboys...

LnxGnome lnxgnome at hopnet.net
Sun Jan 4 14:56:00 EST 2015

On 1/2/15 7:46 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> On 2015-01-02 14:12, JD wrote:
>> On 01/02/2015 03:54 PM, Robert Heaven wrote:
>>> In my case, AT&T had dug holes about every 100-200 yards, installing signal
>>> boosters on the copper. When they finished, they activated the fiber up to
>>> the edge of the neighborhood, and sent out the sales people who said, "we
>>> just installed fiber in your neighborhood"... Well, they were technically
>>> correct, they had installed fiber within the first 5 feet of the
>>> neighborhood.
>> Around 2008, AT*T came through my neighborhood and dug everything up for 2-3
>> days to suppose u-verse.  Then they patted it all down so it was 5inches lower
>> than before.
>> Thanks guys. Now those areas all hold 2inches of water and don't drain. Nice.
>>
>> I've disconnected AT&T from my house completely. I recall the day I did that -
>> felt really good.
> If I could get away from all the insanity I would.  But, here, my choice
> is either AT&T or Comcast so I'm sticking with AT&T.  No one here likes
> Comcast, they all have trouble.
I had AT&T at the house until 2000, in the form of two dial-up lines.
They didn't offer any DSL until Oct 2000, which was a month before I
moved to Tokyo.  Too little, too late.

Just before Christmas, I went to a AT&T corp store to switch my number
to a new phone, and a sales person offered me "a deal" on internet-only
Uverse, $45/mo for ~15M.  That's about $10/mo less than I'm paying for
the internet half of my double-play bundle, which is 50M (but usually
gives me over 56M).

When I moved back to the US in 2010, my sister had Uverse at the house
(1970's subdivision in E.Cobb), and well, it sucked (slow and up/down
often + expensive.)

I tried to get Comcast Biz for months, and they kept telling me it was
not available (after having someone come out and walk the line.)  I
ended up ordering Residential service (installed two biz days later),
and only occasionally (annually) regret it.  Whenever I talk to Comcast
customer service (promos end, rate renewals, etc), they screw up
something, and it takes me a month or two to get it fixed.  Ever since I
ordered Residential, I constantly get snail mail offers to move to Biz.

I've always had my own DOCCIS3 modem with Comcast.   The service itself
has been really good for the past 4 years, just a little expensive.  The
only thing really lacking for me are static IPs, and a reverse DNS entry
for my domain.

I haven't seen any big changes by either AT&T or Comcast (no digging,
everything is on poles) in my neighborhood in four years, even though
two new micro-subdivision have gone in nearby, in the place of big old
homesteads.  Then again, we all still have septic tanks in our yards,
and a lack of sidewalks.

--LnxGnome