[ale] Linux admin position salary survey

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 10:01:59 EST 2015

I need to get an idea of what my position pays out in the real world, or
even at most metro Atlanta universities. I'm hoping you guys can help me
out with that. Here's a short list of my duties:

* Spec new systems that will run RHEL
* Install and maintain RHEL on all Linux based systems
* Setup and administer RH Satellite Server
* Manage SSL termination and general load balancing via HAProxy (with a
failover system)
* Setup and manage the DNS servers (authoritative and recursive)
* Setup and maintain DHCPD servers
* Keep abreast of security concerns and patches on all RHEL systems
* Maintain backups of all critical RHEL systems
* Resolve off-hour business impacting issues (e.g. DHCPD went bye-bye have
to restart it)
* Advise purchases for new infrastructure devices/products

Plus all of the little details you guys know come with all of that. There's
more, but that is the heart of the position. The number of systems involved
is currently around 50 (mix of production and test); it's only going to
grow as time goes on.

So, if you were hiring for such a position, in the metro Atlanta area, what
would you expect to pay someone? Or if you're in such a position, and don't
mind sharing a ballpark figure (off list if you like), what is your salary?

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59