[ale] ALE-NW dying

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Jan 2 11:14:44 EST 2015

Chuck Payne has stepped up to take over ALE-NW.  We are working the transition
now.  A meeting is still planned for next week. The only thing not known is the
exact room, but it will be in the same building as normal. Plan on that.

SPSU is onboard with a venue for the next semester and I don't have any reason
to think this will change in the next few years.

Linux has become much easier to install, use, run than ever before. There are 50
other specialized groups which historically would have been service by the LUG.
 This fractures the core ALE.

Heck, Redhat has a specialize meeting for their customers (not open to us Debian
folks for some reason) which further splits us.

I remember learning about Python, Perl, Asterisk, Email, apache, DevOps, Hadoop,
OpenStack ...  at LUG meetings - each of those (well, not the email) have their
own specialized groups now.

There is still a need for general Linux knowledge.  Sadly, the average linux
admin seems to get it working and forget it. This is seem by all the wordpress
hacks around the web. There are professional linux admins, but with the cloud
more and more noob-ish software weenies think they have the necessary skills and
experience to run a server (they do not, generally, IMHO). I was a software
weenie, BTW and thought I knew better than simple-minded admins.

Administration of Linux is as hard as it has ever been, even with all the
new-fangled tools like ssh-copy-id and APT.

At ALE-NW, we've attempted to cover "server security" and "desktop security" a
few times. Most of the attendees seem to want a button that says "Secure Server
(Y/n)" that can be checked and done forever. We know that isn't how this works
and that years of knowledge, training, experience are needed to secure a server
properly and it all begins with versioned, automatic, backups.

Then there is the issue of securing apache, which is different from securing
apache running php webapps, which is different from securing apache running a
mod_perl tool, etc.   There isn't any 1-click "secure it" answer, so folks get
overwhelmed.  If all we covered was securing X server every month, where X was a
different webapp, we'd have topics for 20 yrs without a repeat.

I've always avoided the "secure apache" topic, because there isn't any way 1
person could possibly know how to do that.  Only a someone really new would
think they could.

Sorry for the rant. I stepped aside so others with fresher ideas have a chance
to make things better and more relevant to current and future members.  I think
Chuck can make it happen for ALE-NW, especially if we all support him.