[ale] Monthly password reminders

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jan 1 09:50:59 EST 2015

On 01/01/2015 07:59 AM, Leam Hall wrote:
> Some lists send out monthly password reminders that include your account and
> password. Can they do this with an encrypted password? Or does that indicate
> they store the password in plain text?

Email lists are not secure. I see the plain text password as a reminder for
that.  Plus most of these use mailman which probably doesn't default to
encrypted passwords since nobody managing any listsrv would consider it secure
(what's the point?).  Having encrypted passwords in the email would provide a
false sense of security that doesn't exist in non-GPG encrypted emails.