[ale] home network monitoring

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:21:53 EST 2015

Good monring all,

I've had some sporadic issues in my home network, and I'd like to try and
troubleshoot them, but need advice on
how - is there an existing product that would do this?  Or am I better off
writing something myself?

​My setup is:
cable modem in bridge mode -> ASUS wifi+wired router, with wifi and wired
machines in the house, and some powerline networking for a few DVRs that
are too old for wifi

The issues:
1) sporadic loss of wifi connection - like my SSID is not visible for 10s
of seconds, and
2) sporadic loss of connectivity to the Intarweb at large - nothing seems
to get out/back for minutes at a time

​
​What I would like to do is monitor connectivity from my (wired) desktop​
to the fixed points in my internal network, and some strategic outside
sites (Google DNS, Comcast DNS, wikipedia, or others with good
uptime/connectivity), and generate a periodic report on when and for how
long connectivity was lost to each.

​Does anyone have recommendations?  Does systemd cover this yet? :)
​

--
Pete Hardie
--------