[ale] CentOS 7 Net Install - /dev/root not found

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:22:41 EST 2015

I have an old server where I plan to install CentOS 7 for my certification
exams. The DVD player is broken and I am trying to do a Net Install using a
USB CD player.
Everything works up to the point where the system says that file system
mounted OK. After a minute or so, it drops to a dracut shell with a .txt
file generated (cannot remember the name now).
File says /dev/root not found. I changed the hd:LABEL to /dev/sr0,
/dev/cdrom, etc. but with same results
Googling returns several other options. After trying a half a dozen of
them, I gave up.
I am wondering if anyone has a real solution for this, please let me know
as my frustration level is rising quite rapidly. As an FYI, I do not have a
"boot from USB" option.
I know I can buy a USB-DVD but I really would like to figure this one out.