[ale] Chromebook is to Android as Ipad is Iphone?

DjPfulio DjPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Dec 7 09:17:19 EST 2015

Chromebooks are made by many different vendors ; all the popular guys make one. They run an OS called Chrome OS. This operating system is web-centric but has Linux at the core. For people who do not need Microsoft Office or other specific Windows programs or specific Linux programs, Chrome OS is fine. It is an optimized web centric experience. Basically it runs Chrome as the browser and it is intended for people who store all of their data in the cloud.
For people who use Gmail Google Docs Google Maps and other Google things this is the perfect experience. Access to airline websites banking websites and any of those really complicated websites is performed through the Chrome browser, therefore there won't be any issues that aren't big issues for everybody else running Chrome as well.
For nerds, a Chromebook is an extremely cheap way to get a netbook that can easily run most light Linux distributions. Of course, sometimes installing Linux on a Chromebook is non-trivial. Plus there are other issues which arise with the different operating system. For example, my Chromebook won't boot Linux right now because I had the battery unplugged and there is no CMOS battery so all boot parameters have been lost. The only solution is to load Chrome OS again correct the problems make the initial setup then go through the process of loading the real Linux OS I prefer.
Grandma and Grandpa will not do this. However Grandma and Grandpa do not need to do this either.

They are probably a thousand YouTube videos demonstrating Chrome OS.  Watch a few to get an idea of what this operating system does.