[ale] Ot: chromebook

Rev. Johnny Healey rev.null at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:13:38 EDT 2015

I have an Acer C720 chromebook. I was able to load debian on it, but the
installation was far from easy.

The touchpad support was spotty on the kernel that shipped with Wheezy. I
had to compile a later kernel to get it to work reliably.

The BIOS that it ships with boots to a screen that will wipe the drive if
you press the wrong key. There's an alternate BIOS available on the web,
but installing it requires disassembling the unit to remove a write
protection screw. This voids the warranty.

That being said, the laptop is light and gets great battery life. Just do
your research before picking one of these up.

-Johnny