[ale] Ubuntu driving me crazy (14.04)

John Caruso misrerenobis at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 12:30:06 EDT 2015

I have installed it 6 or 7 times and never was grub installed. I finally installed boot-repair and it allowed grub to install. It refused to install on any partition I picked

However when grub comes up it has Ubuntu at the top and if that is selected the screen goes black and nothing happens. I took the option list to boot the linux kernel 3.0***** and that seemed to work until I tried Firefox today after having it work and the screen filled with gibberish.
Is there a better browser for Linux?

My file system is:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda    ntfs  320071 Mb   unknown
/dev/sdb
/def/sdb1 ntfs Win 7 loader
/dev/sdb2 ntfs Win7 loader
free 340791 mb

In the normal install I could not load the bootloader to /dev/sda but boot-repair allowed that. At one point I was told that I had an invalid copy of Ubuntu.

I would really prefer to use Ubuntu but it is becoming like driving spikes under my fingernails.

Sorry if this is to long.
John Caruso