[ale] Libgcrypt warning: MD5 used - FIPS mode inactivated

Adrya Stembridge adrya.stembridge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:53:59 EDT 2015

I noticed a difference in output of openssl ciphers -v 'HIGH:MEDIUM:!ADH'
between the working box, and the one generating libgcrypt warnings.

The latter shows the following ciphers in use:

DES-CBC3-MD5            SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=3DES(168) Mac=MD5
KRB5-DES-CBC3-MD5       SSLv3 Kx=KRB5     Au=KRB5 Enc=3DES(168) Mac=MD5
IDEA-CBC-MD5            SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=IDEA(128) Mac=MD5
RC2-CBC-MD5             SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC2(128)  Mac=MD5
KRB5-IDEA-CBC-MD5       SSLv3 Kx=KRB5     Au=KRB5 Enc=IDEA(128) Mac=MD5
RC4-MD5                 SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=MD5
RC4-MD5                 SSLv2 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=MD5
KRB5-RC4-MD5            SSLv3 Kx=KRB5     Au=KRB5 Enc=RC4(128)  Mac=MD5

The same version of openssl is used on both systems (OpenSSL
1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013).  I am not seeing how to configure openssl to
not use MD5 by default.   This may or may not fix the libgcrypt issue,
but thought it is worth investigating.

The openssl package is from CentOS (same as the second machine that
does not have the libgcrypt FIPS warnings).  Is it possible to change
openssl's global config?  I see where to change ssh and httpd's
configs, but those aren't affecting what appears with openssl ciphers
-v 'HIGH:MEDIUM:!ADH'.