[ale] Monitor Internet Traffic

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:14:31 EDT 2015

RE Queue disciplines: maybe this -> "The Ultimate Traffic Conditioner: Low
Latency, Fast Up & Downloads"
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html

Jumping in a bit late here on the traffic analysis, but if you're router
can generate netflow (ddwrt can, many others should) you can feed it to the
netflow collector on cacti for a graphical view.

Scrutinizer is my go-to tool for analysing netflow graphically. You can get
a free eval vm at
https://www.plixer.com/Scrutinizer-Netflow-Sflow/scrutinizer-download.html
that's more than capable for a small network.

The more light-weight and quick method for flow analysis is argus:
http://qosient.com/argus/ It's an opensource flow analysis tool that has
origins at CERN. You'll have to compile from source, then there are three
tools that will be most useful: argus (collects flow data based on netflow
or libpcap) ratop (for watching live data) ra (for reading argus records
from a file).

Basically, depending on whether your router is sending you netflow, or
collecting at a tap, you set different flags on argus to write these flow
records to a file. The flow records consist of your Src/Dst IP, Src/Dst
Port, Tcp Flags, Timing, Packet and Bit count, etc. Then these files can be
summarized by 'ra' to yield what you're looking for. Examples are here:
http://qosient.com/argus/gettingstarted.shtml and
http://qosient.com/argus/howto.shtml

Let me know if you have questions with Argus. It can be a bit tricky on
initial setup.
-George