[ale] [Fwd: Advertising on ale.org]

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:58:47 EDT 2015

I'm OK with a static image file that is loaded from ALE's server with a
link behind it to a site that's been vetted. Any thoughts of external
sources for images/ads are a total creep festival (that includes
Google).
For now, funds can go to meetup.com fees. If there's not enough the
next time I need to fork out cash, I'll pass the hat at a meeting or
two to garner donations. I believe donations can be tendered directly
to meetup for group activities. I'll look into details.
Any discussions of ALE getting LLC or 501(c)3 paperwork going are
highly, HIGHLY premature :-)
I'm not opposed to it but I don't see it as a worthwhile expenditure of
effort for the immediate future. Let's focus efforts on ensuring a
future for ALE.
That said:
I'm pretty OK with an org that wants to sponsor a meeting by bringing
goodies or buying a round (or three :-) after the meeting. We've had
some recruiters do that for a bit and it was nice and didn't feel like
a sellout of any kind. I think a few ALE'rs may have become employed
through those efforts so that's even better. In retrospect, I didn't
push a huge a "THANK YOU" onto the site or even the mailing list at the
time. That was very impolite on my part and I will make sure it doesn't
happen again.
On Thu, 2015-08-06 at 15:50 -0400, Lists wrote:
> Moving ads should be banned. They're so distracting. Static. Okay.
>
> Geoffrey Myers
>
> On Aug 5, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>
> > I would be willing to vet anything that is remotely dynamic, but we
> > shouldn't allow any sort of ads which use JS or Flash, just text,
> > image, or html5 video without audio. Again, just my 2 cents.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > > On Aug 5, 2015, at 3:24 PM, Robert Reese <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
> > > I'm inclined to believe that said advertising would come bundled
> > > with malware.
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Robert                            mailto:ale at sixit.com