[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 6 14:10:37 EDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-06 at 13:47 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> In a 1-man shop, editing on prod is fine.
>
> In any larger org, it should lead to termination.  I've seen hundreds
> of
> "tiny changes" bring down production systems because they bypassed
> dev-test, pre-prod, and deployment processes.
>

> Yes - I've done it a few times too. Now I know better.
About the only thing I will ever agree to is a hot-change that is
perfectly understood and is so isolated that domino effect is not
possible.  If I am unable to prove either (which is 99% of all
situations), I won't hot-patch at all.
I most recently had to patch a single ASM instruction in an ARM program
I deployed to change the initial value of a variable.  (Why, you might
ask? Old project, and reference hardware and toolchain were archived a
long time back, and the change needed to apparently be made rapidly.)
 Takes "forever" to do relative to edit C module and re-make, unless
the toolchain isn't there.  But relative to the time of rebuilding the
toolchain or digging it out of archives, it is pretty speedy...
	— Mike