[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:04:39 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With Ruby, I can say "It's on the machines, so I can use it".
>

> That's an important bit of information. Under such circumstances my
> preference is for Python. I just like the language better (truly, I can't
> stand the sight of Ruby). As for contrived performance, they're pretty much
> even -- http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64/ruby.php
>
> One of the things to consider is who else will have to maintain your code?
> Which languages do they prefer or are proficient with? Around my shop we've
> had a Ruby guy leave which meant all his stuff died because no one knows
> the language (or cares to).

Oohh...I see that as a job opportunity.  :)

Seriously, I was really hyped about python and have generated local code
for it. Then work decided to buy Puppet, and I figured learning some Ruby
would be useful. I'm finding Ruby more fun than python, but wouldn't
hesitate to encourage someone to learn Python if that was their druthers.
Perl, on the other hand...

The Puppet purchase encourages others to use Ruby as well. It's not
required, but helpful. I'm also trying to spread the word on Git but it's
been slow going. One day I will reveal the secrets of "test your code".
When the student is ready, the code will appear.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>