[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Aug 6 08:40:42 EDT 2015

Maybe a vocational issue. I came up with a term called "vocational programmers". These are folks that program as a job. I have some guys in India that help me out and some of the stuff they do I just don't understand why.

I've been working on a service that runs in Windows to provide information back to a management device. In the field I have no access to the server it is running on so I instructed them to add a SOAP service in the agent so I could check status, send commands, etc. I also told them to write a simple test program. Their test program was huge. Communications to the agent was async. Their test was written as sync. Thread for read, write, etc. I could not understand why they could not just do a connect,read, write, read,write,...,., close. It was written in C#. I ran it on my device using mono.