[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 07:16:52 EDT 2015

On 08/05/15 23:44, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 12:45 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> RoR work is also highly sought these days.
>
> I don't know for the life of me why.  A server system written in C or
> C++ runs just as fast and if written correctly consumes far less
> resources.  And such programmers seem to actually care about upgrades
> working without a problem.  After fighting with several Rails apps over
> problems such as runaway resource consumption and the inability to
> perform upgrades as per directions supplied by the programmer, I gave up
> on allowing that crap on my infrastructure a long time ago.

Good morning Michael! I always look forward to your programming
perspectives.

One of the reasons I stayed away from Ruby for a long time was their
website. I'm assuming it was in Ruby/RoR and it was often too slow to use.

The niche I'm having fun with at the moment is learning OOP and Testing
while munging XML, JSON, and user input. It's amazing how many "tools"
IT shops buy that don't talk to each other. If I can solve some of that
it's a win. While Ruby isn't the most performant in terms of memory
usage and CPU cycles burned, it is helping me solve problems. I have
less time with the language than I did with C or Python, but I can do
more. I can also enjoy life a little, which is a big win as I get older.

Maybe I've just gotten to be a little better at programming and am
picking Ruby up faster. I don't know. I am having fun and getting things
done. Life would be ideal if I could quit looking sideways at C or Go.
"Performance envy"? Maybe. I'd like to be content but every time I
decide to see what other opportunities are available they ask for things
I don't have.

Leam