[ale] Curious video boot problem.

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Mon Aug 3 17:47:29 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 03:28:33PM -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
>    Sounds like a crappy bios and a bad pci riser card. Can you flash with
>    an older bios?

I could but there was no change in behavior between the original BIOS and
the updated one.

>    Also sounds like OS is stuck on video init and may be the issue. Can
>    you try a different boot kernel? Maybe set video to vga or simplest
>    modeset line or similar.

It never gets out of POST to even get to a kernel load without the external
video card. It isn't an OS problem. In fact my test OS, MythBuntu 14.04.2,
comes up with both the internal and external card. The entire boot fails
when the external card is removed.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology