[ale] can't install windows on ST3000DM001

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Aug 3 16:10:23 EDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 03:28 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> nice big Seagate ST3000DM001

GPT disks require UEFI BIOS and 64-bit Windows.
I think (but I've never tried it) you can add a GPT disk later, but it won't
boot from one.

I could be wrong. Maybe?

There is nothing nice or good about that model seagate HDD.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives
- basically, the 3TB Seagate (40% failure rate) is the least reliable drive
since the 1980s.

Buy better HDDs - pretty much **anything** is better than that model or Seagate.
4TB seagates drastically improved, but I've been burned to many time.  At one
point, I bought only Seagate for 15 yrs, then they lied and screwed all their
customers for over a year denying issues (2007-ish). Around 2011, there was a
deal on 2TB seagates and I picked up a bunch for a home NAS - 50% of them failed
in less than a year.  The same external array was running 320GB Seagates for 7
yrs before the swap.  It has been running 4TB WD RED and Toshiba and HGST since
2012-ish ... so it was just the crap Seagate drives.

Fool me once, shame on you ...

Clearly, I am NOT a fan.