[ale] IoT and Security

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Apr 13 08:11:32 EDT 2015

> If you're a coder, I'd say look at "the internet of things". That concept really
> scares me! Not that it's a bad idea, but because coding people these days have
> no concept or skills for security or performance. More than anything the IoT
> seems to provide the bad guys everything they might ever want, free and on a
> platter!

The IoT scares me. Heck, I haven't even giving Roku my CC info because THEY
scare me. The Roku is on the guests network ... think I need to push it to
outside any of my networks, just on the Comcast 10.0.1.0 network instead on the
WAN-side of my routers. The roku is only for APV.

Currently on Netflix DVD shipping, not streaming. The back catalogue is huge.

Read yesterday that free grocery delivery is common in London and that people
would use a smart fridge to maintain staples. We setup an account and a
weekly/biweekly delivery time.  Then the fridge could watch (rfid/bar codes) for
missing important items like milk. If it doesn't scan a milk container in 2 hrs,
order more (the type/brand we prefer).  Settings like that could be setup for
anything.  I could see that working in dense cities like NY, Paris, even parts
of Atlanta (midtown).  Provided the "things" have strong authentication,
updatable PKI, and non-trivial online account controls, not certain I'd have
issues with this sort of stuff provided their privacy policy allowed our
transactions to be anonymous before sharing with 3rd parties - if desired.
Non-anonymous purchases could lead to coupons and other deal offers, however.

Just imagine - weekly, automatic, cheetos and std beer deliveries. Yummmmmm.

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.