[ale] Need to recover deleted files from a netgear readynas

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Oct 21 17:04:08 EDT 2014

I actually sat through one day class of his a few years ago.
I was trying to remember his information.
Thanks for the pointer, JD and Ted.
-jt

On 10/21/2014 11:31 AM, James Taylor wrote:
> Due to a long series of small foul-ups, I need to recover backup files that
> were deleted on a netgear nas. The it is a raid5 box, probably lvm,
> partition with either ext2 or xfs. The backup format is  cpio packaged blobs
> for each full and incremental. The backups expired and were deleted, but
> there was only one small write afterward, so I have some hope.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for recovery? I am open to paying for a
> recovery on this if necessary, but budget is always a consideration. The box
> is in Athens, TN (near Knoxville) so I don't have immediate direct access to
> it, but I can get it shipped where ever it needs to go. Thanks,

If you can't mirror the RAID partition(s) with ddrescue to get all the bits onto
1 disk somewhere else to hack at with testdisk and photorec ...

There's a data recovery help page on the ubuntu site that may be useful.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

http://myharddrivedied.com/ - but Scott ain't cheap. He knows his stuff.  You
can find some datarecovery presentations he's done at different DefCon-like
events around the world on youtube.  I've seen him at DC404 and OuterZ0ne ...
the outerz0ne talk was recorded.  He also trains other data recovery companies
how to do this stuff for fun, forensics, etc ... The training sessions are on
the website too.