[ale] Belay that, OT, jre7u71 winXP won't install/update

David Millians millia at panix.com
Fri Oct 17 08:29:20 EDT 2014

On 10/17/2014 2:35 AM, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Well, I don't realy think XP {shrug}, but CE is a possibility.
> OTOH, with the exception of a pretty simple OBD scanner for
> OSX, I've never seen a computer-based car scanner, that was
> not deployed on (what appears to be *stock*) XP.

Car stuff is like educational software: they wrote it once, for a
particular box. Why would they need to update it?

> I remember
> reading here that Sony and Toshiba are to be avoided due to
> driver support flakiness.  (Always heard Toshiba was 'bout
> the last remaining "good" one.)

Interesting. I rank things like this, based on personal experience:
Dell
Toshiba
Asus
Acer (really, one of you change your name.)
Compaq/HP

I put it as compaq/hp because I had experience with some Compaq Craptops
that have made me permanently reluctant to use them. Current work
portable is an HP, and it reminds me that even though the hardware may
be good, it's assembled in a way that makes it much harder to repair.

Dell is like an old mid-60s Mustang with a mini-V8: easy to repair and
lots of parts available. Not as fancy as others, but I don't like fancy.
Toshiba is like a cheaper mid-60s car. I had no bad experiences.
Asus are a little better than Acer. The acers are fine for the price.

I've no long term experience with Thinkpad in the past decade, but I
can't argue with the dozens of positive reviews I have read. They're
usually just that bit too expensive for schools, alas.

Sony. Pffft.

Really, pfffft. Go away, Sony,
David