[ale] Belay that, OT, jre7u71 winXP won't install/update

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Thu Oct 16 10:18:29 EDT 2014

Well, ya...  {sigh}  That machine is a now-11-year-old  (I
think) Tried & True IBM T41 notebook (remember those? :).
It's now pretty-much single-purpose (auto diagnostics).
The shop service app is Java & Windows-only (yes, really sh*tty
software design but there are no other options I'm aware
of).  I guess I should get around to some kind of Newer-ish
Hotness but I'm not keen to the idea of Further Feeding The
Beast until/unless absolutely necessary.  I guess I'm pretty
soon-ish going to need to get a 7 or 8.1 replacement notebook,
preferably a factory refurb, but I'm not seeing much of any
"good" nowadays.  Linux/BSD-type OS friendliness is, of course,
mandatory.  Dunno what makes/models to seek/avoid.

Sort-of an aside note I guess:  The nice expensive hand-held
scanners I'm seeing at both independent & dealer shops still
run XP.  And these things are expensive.  I'm guessing they
likely never got around to updating/upgrading but that's the
fault of those systems' makers too.  Few weeks ago one belonging
to one of my auto-tech acquaintances got almost-bricked by
virus/malware it picked up, apparently while online-connected
for updates.  This is a ~$14k little thing and he lost *A Day*
of its use getting it fixed/recovered.  As well, what I've
seen of what's in cars nowadays (expensive ones too) gives me
the heebie-jeebies.  (But then again, I guess mid-late October
is Heebie-Jeebie season, hmm?  :P

-kc