[ale] Best way to use both Windows and Linux?

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 13:42:14 EDT 2014

On 10/13/2014 12:40 PM, Paul Storey wrote:
> ALE List,
>
> For people here who use both Windows and Linux, how do you manage it?
>
> 1) Have separate Windows and Linux partitions available for dual boot,
> 2) Install Windows as a hypervisor and run Linux in a VM, or
> 3) Install Linux as a hypervisor and run Windows in a VM ?

 since my earliest work laptop I have done dual-boot. I usually only
need windows a few times a year... turbotax.....
For my 80 year old uncle I did it dual boot, just in case he didn't like
it & wanted to go back. about 2 weeks after the install he wanted to
wipe the windows install, but I didn't. glad I didn't. He just got some
new custom software for his diabetes management, and it was a windows
setup.exe . so he was able to install it in the windows side, but he now
knows & uses linux for daily use.
I just carve up the C drive, make it much smaller, usually leaving about
20% of the drive for windows ( or current used +15-20%) then make the
rest linux. For me of course separate /home partitions. For my uncle
just one big linux partition. Easier to deal with.

--
Paul Cartwright