[ale] Switching from Server 2003 to Samba

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Fri Oct 3 14:41:31 EDT 2014

OK, so here's where this things stands right now.

I have Ubuntu 14.04 running Samba 4.1 as a member server on my AD domain. I
can access Windows shares, including home shares from my Windows clients
using Windows ACL's as if accessing a Windows server.

The Samba wiki, starting here, was very helpful:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

Now, I've encountered a glitch that I hope someone can help me with:

If I do a gentent passwd, I am able to see all the users from my AD, EXCEPT
the ones that I have created since joining this server to the domain. Is
there I command I need to run to update the user list on the Ubuntu box? I
don't recall doing anything special before. Just installed libnss-winbind
and lipam-winbind and bang, getent passwd just worked, fully populated with
AD users.

What is interesting, is that getent group, shows these newly created users
as added to appropriate groups, which makes it all the more perplexing to
me.

If I do a wbinfo -u I get a list of all domain users, including the newly
created ones.

If I do id smbtest1, I get "no such user". Other users (all those created
before today) work fine e.g. id eholcroft
uid=10019(eholcroft) gid=10004(domain users) groups=10004(domain
users),10057(atlanta),10067(accessusers),10047(mkastaff),10078(it),10162,10001(BUILTIN\users)

This seems to be the only issue standing between me and getting my shares
fully functional. All users can access shares as expected, EXCEPT those
that do not show up in getent passwd - for these users, the Windows client
gets stuck on username and password prompt when trying to access a share
(providing the credentials does not help)

cheers
ed

--
Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250 | Johns Creek, GA 30097
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not