[ale] Older parent friendly desktop WM

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:12:20 EDT 2014

On 10/2/14, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

> So back to the question, my reasoning now is to give them an interface
> that is comfortable and reasonably familiar, has more control over user
> versus administrator rights, is a bit harder to inflict damage (hard to
> install a Windows keylogger program on a Linux machine) and would give
> me a bit of an easier time doing remote maintenance.  This won't happen
> right away, I would need to be there to do the initial setup.  But it's
> planning ahead and they both seemed slightly interested in using it over
> Windows at some point.

I'd still suggest Gnewsense.  The simple gnome 2 interface will be
intuitive to most people who've used any version of Windows before
version 8, and it has all the basic stuff an end user typically needs
(browser, word processor, IM, etc).  I'm running it on one of the old
Acer Aspire One netbooks that so many people picked up cheaply after
they were discontinued, and it runs well.

Regards,
Larry