[ale] Something faster than X-Windows but more secure than VNC server?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Oct 1 13:16:54 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 12:20 -0400, Scott Plante wrote:
> You could always run VNC over an SSH tunnel. You could create a batch
> file that starts plink and your VNC client.
>

> Google also turned up this:
> http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html
> Looks like he built a VNC with SSL and SSH tunnel options.

VNC is horribly slow.  Even RDP is faster.  VNC over ssh with
compression is somewhat better (in addition to be much more secure) but
still sucks unless you have a lot of bandwidth.  About the only thing
slower, in my personal experience, has been raw X11 forwarding over ssh
(I don't even consider X11/XDM over live network due to security
issues).

> Scott

Regards,
Mike