[ale] LDAP Authentication Issue

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu May 15 18:05:05 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Sam Davis <aracthabar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>     I have to admit, I really don't know where to begin on this. LDAP has
> never been my strong suit.  We use LDAP authentication for most of our
> servers.  We have one user for whom the client machines seem to forget
> about.  In order to restore his account's functionality, I have to stop and
> then start nslcd.  Sometimes the client machines do not even realize his
> account exists, sometimes it knows the account exists, but doesn't assign
> the correct group memberships.  Other accounts are not impacted by this.
>  Does anyone have any idea where to even begin looking into an issue like
> this?

I suspect I might know a thing or two about the LDAP system in question...

To confirm:
1) Only 1 user is affected?
2) They are affected on multiple machines?  Is it all machines?
3) Does it happen at the same time across all machines?
4) When it occurs on a machine, what does "getent passwd <username>"
return?  A password entry, an error, or nothing?  Also might want to try
"getent passwd <uid>" to see if the behavior differs.

> Sam

David Tomaschik