[ale] Email system

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu May 15 09:10:51 EDT 2014

+1

Also don't use a single provider as "reseller" of the domain and hosting.   A lot of these small web design companies will certainly register a domain "for you" but then when you try to leave them as "hosting" provider you find out they registered the domain in THEIR name rather than yours and will claim to own the domain.   At that point it is a legal fight.  Be sure YOU are the Registrant at the actual Registrar.   Ask them if they actually are a Registrar or if they are reslling registrations through another Regitrar and then do the registration yourself.

You even find some big companies do the resell thing and in odd ways.  One of the worst messes I've tried to untangle was when we got domains that were registered through Yahoo Small Business.  Turns out they do the registration though a Registrar in Australia called Melbourne IT.   There is no one answering phones at Yahoo so if you can't get the transfer authorization code from their web site you're screwed because Melbourne IT won't be able to help you as you until Yahoo releases it.  (On the plus side if you quit paying your bill to Yahoo they'll eventually release it and you can get Melbourne to transfer to a separate account.  However, some 2-3 years after an acquisition there is still one domain that I've yet to get successfully transferred out of Melbourne IT.)