[ale] Debian serial ports

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon May 5 03:07:24 EDT 2014

I was trying to migrate one of my label printers over to a Debian box
(currently squeeze, soon to be wheezy) but for some reason the box can't
see any of the serial (or parallel) ports.  This is an old P-II
motherboard so, if I remember correctly, all the serial and parallel
ports are behind the PCI-ISA bridge.  The problem is that I don't seem
to have access to the ISA bridge though it does show up in lspci:

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton
II] (rev 01)

Normally I would expect isapnp or an equivalent module to activate it
but that's not working.  I can't seem to find anything online about a
missing isapnp or anything remotely similar.  I'm using the prebuilt
kernels for this system so why isapnp isn't there is just confusing me.

Thoughts?