[ale] Xenserver on my HP N40L

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 15:51:08 EDT 2014

Hey folks,

I had OpenMediaVault running on my server for quite a while, but the SD
card took a dive.  I have backups of it using fsarchiver that I will use
to put things back to the way I had when I decide on what course of
action I should take.

Given this "opportunity" I decided to install Xenserver on an internal
USB drive.  I have the (4) 3TB HDD previously configured as a software
RAID5 (from within my previous OMV setup) that I checked with a livecd
of Peppermint I had laying around after apt-get'ing mdadm (all is well).

So how do I add/passthru the existing RAID5 so it can be mounted by my
VM's?  I've seen references to "sr-locate", but I've never done this and
_really_ don't want to fubar my RAID5 data.

When all is said and done, I would like to have Xenserver running with a
couple VMs and the internal RAID5 visible to the VMs.  Anyone have
experience with raw disk access through Xenserver?  I'm guessing that's
what I would need to do.

Thoughts?

Preston

--
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss