[ale] Multiple monitors on Wheezy

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Wed Mar 12 08:59:02 EDT 2014

Running as root made no difference so I modified xorg.conf with Jim's
suggestion. Nothing. That breaks X. Also tried

Option   "metamodes" "CRT-0 nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

just in case it wanted to be at position 0 on the second card.

Nothing.

ed

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Edward Holcroft <eholcroft at mkainc.com>wrote:

> Good point Damon. I was running it as a regular user. Although I am able
> to effect all kinds of other changes to my display setup as non-root, I'll
> try running it as root before changing the line Jim suggested. It's on my
> office machine, so will report back tomorrow.
>
> ed
>

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com>wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/2014 05:02 PM, Edward Holcroft wrote:
>>
>> Aside from Jim's advice, are you running the tool as root?
>>

>>  I currently have two 23" monitors on my Wheezy desktop box. Now I've
>>> added a second video card (identical to the first) so that I can have a
>>> third and maybe a fourth monitor if needed. I installed the Nvidia drivers
>>> using these instructions:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>>>
>>> If I use the Nvidia GUI tool to enable the third monitor, it seems to
>>> work, and even changes the xorg file, but the settings don't stick and the
>>> file reverts to dual monitor on a single card.
>>>
>>> $ lspci | grep GeForce
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce
>>> 8400 GS] (rev a2)
>>> 06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce