[ale] Just Discovered ALE

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:33:30 EDT 2014

Hi newbie :-)

Heh, heh. Vista was a great product for getting people to use Linux! So was
NT 3.51.

EFI is a learning curve for everyone. It seems there must be an EFI aware
booting installer and/or an EFI folder on the installer. Without that, it
all punts on the reboot. Otherwise the bios-thingy for EFI must be
configured for legacy BIOS or some similar language. Not all EFI systems
have that capability.

Not to fan a distro war but try a Fedora 20 x86_64 install. Use a DVD
version and see if that will  boot when done. I've installed that on
several Mac systems and they are EFI only. It was quite smooth (other than
the closed, proprietary stuff like wireless and nvidia graphics - and those
weren't that bad with the rpmfuson repo). I didn't do a dual boot on those.
I tossed the Mac OS and did a drive wipe with random number generator first
for encrypted hard drive.

If that works, the issue is with the installer disk you're using. It must
not be built for EFI systems.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Gregory Beyer <beyerg at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
> I just discovered ALE, so am stoked about meeting fellow tux-heads in
> person rather than just on forums -- and learning about Duplicity to boot!
>
> I've been Ubuntu, then Mint since Vista ticked me off, & never went back.
> Now I'm up against a new nemesis on a new laptop -  EFI.   I'm struggling
> with my Mint16 install, now a week without a running installation (just
> live USB booting) despite extensive forums searches on my problems.
>
> I've disabled fast boot & secure boot, installation goes without a hitch,
> but I get nothing but error messages when I pull the USB and try to boot
> from disk.   Tried fstab changes with no joy. Tried boot-repair, too.
>
> If I bring my laptop on Thursday, might I trouble someone to look at
> what's happening (not!) at boot?
>
> I cringe at being that guy that shows up for the first time and asks for
> help, but that's the timing that a motherboard death has forced on me.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Greg
>
>  --

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*