[ale] NanoPC

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Mar 6 13:35:35 EST 2014

I was being facetious with the Fedora comment.

Fedora is bleeding edge and they tell you NOT to use it for Production as most releases are not supported for more than a year.  You’d be constantly upgrading and probably breaking Production.

It is however used as a test bed for what ends up in RHEL eventually.

RHEL is a bit different from other distros as it focuses on stability by NOT updating every package to the latest upstream version over time.  Instead it starts with a given upstream version of a package then backports bug and security fixes into their version to help insure you’re not suddenly not changing underlying tools used by your static applications.   For most businesses this stability is an important consideration which is probably why it is so successful.

We have the same issues with developers often saying “hey install the latest php” and having to explain to them we won’t do that if it isn’t provided in the standard RHEL repositories.

Another issue we see is most security scanning tools are brain dead and will flag properly patched RHEL versions of software as being vulnerable because they only look at the base upstream version and ignore the extended versioning RHEL puts its backported updates that address the same CVEs they’re flagging.